Takuma introduces the new Kujira foil, inspired by humpback whales. The name Kujira is Japanese for whale. There is an element of biomimicry in the innovation and engineering process of the Kujira foil, as it is fully inspired by humpback whales.
The design: The Kujira foil was designed by Laurent Borgna, well known for having already shaken things up in the foiling world with his work on the LOL Profoils range, and Cyril Coste, the founder of Takuma.
The revolutionary tubercle design is inspired by the pectoral fin of humpback whales who are known for their agility, power and efficiency. Takuma wanted to implement this anomaly into the Kujira foil, and managed to do it by reproducing and adding whalelike bumps to the design. After a numerous prototypes, modifications and adjustments to the shape and profile of the bumps, computer simulations, and hours of testing in all conditions, there was a clear, distinct and enormous improvement in terms of lift, glide, stability and comfort in the new foils. This remarkable extra lift allows the rider to use a smaller wing with better performance creating exceptionally smooth flight and glide even at low speed.
- New tubercle design inspired by the humpback whales’ pectoral fin.
- Takumas LOL designed upturned winglets give them much more efficient glide and lift with significantly less drag allowing the rider a more secure balanced feeling while foiling.
- Unmatched agility and acceleration while turning and carving in all conditions.
- Effortless low and high speed control.
- Full carbon construction
- Aluminum anodized
- Exceptionally maneuverable
- Smooth and stable on take off
- Extraordinarily reactive
- Remarkably stable at a low speed